1. Where’d you get your name?
I ran into Neil on the street one day. It was my 23rd birthday if I remember correctly, and he asked me if I wanted to join his new band, gay. I didn’t really see how I could say no.
2. When did you start making music seriously?
That may be something of a loaded question. I think our intention was always to be serious about it. I’m still not sure we’ve succeeded in making serious music.
3. What are you listening to right now?
Bunch of different stuff. Personally I’ve been really into the Vancouver new wave scene recently. There’s this amazing comp, the Vancouver complication it’s called, that came out in August of 1979 and its got all the best bands from that scene on it, the pointed sticks, u3rk5, the dish rags, a whole bunch of crazy cool Canadian stuff that maybe doesn’t get the attention it deserves. Also that newish blonde Elvis E.p. they’re a toronto band, and that thing slays.
4. What are some of your musical guilty pleasures?
I adore the killers, but I refuse to feel guilty about it.
5. Describe your music in one sentence.
We really enjoy randy Newman.
6. Where do you see yourself in six months?
Oh man, hopefully somewhere fun. People have been being really nice to us recently. I hope they keep being really nice.
7. What has been the highlight of your career so far?
I think it might be our relationship with our label, pleasence records. They’ve really indulged us a tremendous amount, and I don’t think we would still be making music had they not shown so much faith in us.
8. What is the most unusual compliment/insult you’ve recieved as a musician?
9. If you could go on tour with any band, disbanded or together, who would you tour with?
Hmmmmm. There are so many permutations on this one. Bands we really like? Bands who would be fun? Bands who we would get along with? Maybe the undertones? I feel like they sort of answer all three questions. I think we would have enjoyed that trip to red lobster that’s on the cover of “more songs about chocolate and girls”
10. If you could be on the soundtrack for any TV show or movie, which one would you choose?
Performing a song by that guy who wrote song of ice and fire in the closing credits of an episode of game of thrones would be pretty fun, like the hold steady did. I mean it would definitely be really awful, but it’d be kind of great.
11. What do you do for fun?
We drink a fair bit. We also enjoy watching baseball, especially going to minor league games. We did a bit of that on our last tour. The West Virginia power stadium in charleston West Virginia was excellent.
12. If you weren’t doing music what would you do?
Cam almost has a ph. D, so maybe mooch off him? Once he gets tenure.
13. What do you think will be a major trend in the near future?
Pub rock? It definitely won’t be but wouldn’t that be sort of awesome? I feel like Dave Edmunds has been the world’s least cool musician for going on 35 years. I want in on the ground floor of the Dave edmunds revival.
14. What current trend do you think needs to stop?
That pitch shift vocal effect is getting a bit tedious.
15. What would you be doing if you weren’t doing this survey?
I’m actually late for that digits show. See you there maybe?